Saturday, July 26, 2008

Fruit Market

Honduras. Day 59.

Let me tell you about the awesomeness that has been the past two days.

The past two days, I have woken up, had a delicious breakfast with some of the best people in the world, and then sat through inspiring and encouraging devotionals. Yesterday, Parker led a house crew in Los Pinos. I was going to help on his crew, but he already had like 20 people, so I stuck with most of the Starkville guys and went to the fruit market in Downtown Tegus.

At the fruit market, we all split up into groups to go and bargain for good prices on hundreds of different kinds of fruits and veggies. Me and my group of Cameron, Austin, Logan, and Will bought 300 cabbages and got a little boy to haul them back to the bus for us. Then we all experimented with some of the local foods (thankfully no one "regretted" that later), and then we went to the warehouse to pack up all of the food for distribution that afternoon. After a bite at Pizza Hut, we loaded up the bus and went to Los Pinos to pass out bags of fresh food to all of the families there. It was so amazing to give food to so many people.

But I will never forget the face of the boy that asked for a bag of food for his family right after I had given away my last bag.

That evening, we went to the Jesus Statue for devotional (for my 50th time this summer I can now say, "Yes, Concrete Jesus IS still there."). Wrapped up a great day.

Today: I did basically the same thing. Everyone enjoyed the fruit market and food distribution so much that we did it again. Today I had a much bigger group of a lot more Starkville people, and we just about bought all of one lady's oranges from her stand. We paid another little cart boy to carry them to the bus, and then we all got a little more food from the street vendors before heading to the warehouse. We did our assembly line of food packing again, and then went to... guess... Pizza Hut (is there an echo in here?). Afterwards, we went to a community outside of Valle de Angeles and distributed food to all of the families there.

Let me tell you about one girl I gave some food to. I handed her the bag of food and she smiled and said, "Thank you," but then she just stood there. I asked her what she wanted, and she told me that she really wanted a Bible for her family.

Because the food bag was nice, but some spiritual food would be so much better.

So I ran to find the other group and ask them if they had any Bibles left. There was only one left on the whole mountain. I got it from Jeffrey, and ran back to the girl who was waiting patiently for the Bible. I've never seen someone wait so patiently and excitedly for God's Word, and then to see God provide just one more Bible for His daughter who was waiting.

I saw Jesus in that.

And that made for a good day.

No comments: